This altered spool book was a swap at Art for the Creative Mind. We were to use a large spool and make a “page”, as shown. The theme was “It was a dark and stormy night.”
I found a large, wooden spool at the Dollar Store. I removed the thread and painted the spool black with black, acrylic paint.
Rather than use paper for the page, I discovered a strip of old film in my stash. Since it was the perfect size, I opted to use it.
For the image to cover the film strip, I generated a computer image using a couple of pictures. One picture was a stormy sky that I took in the Skagit Valley in Washington State one year. The other image was a picture from Graphics Fairy Blogspot. To add the specific Halloween images, I used a free Halloween font fount on the Internet. It was one of those fonts that makes pictures rather than alphabets.
I used Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 as my photo editing software.
After printing the long photo strip, I glued it to the film strip, then attached the film strip to the spool as shown.
The brown element on the top (and also on the bottom) is simply a couple of buttons from which I have removed the shank.
I added a length of black ribbon so the altered spool book can be tied together.